Spaz Attack

Thoughts from a big spaz who has lots to spaz about.

Wednesday, September 15, 2004

So I've worked a total of five days and I'm starting to like teaching high school. There is an incredible amount of prep, or conference times, that high school teachers are given, while elementary teachers are lucky to get five minutes of free time. For example, I am at school a total of seven hours. In that time, I have a daily hour long staff meeting, 2 hours of prep time, and a hour for passing period and lunch, give or take. Now you do the math. I see students about three hours a day. Cool or what?

ESL kids are sooo sweet, mostly because they are timid and shy. The teacher next door, an older white lady, told me that ESL kids are ready to leave the ESL program once they start acting "American."

I love working. Time is passing by much quicker and I feel like I have some sort of purpose in my life. At this moment, my purpose is to teach students who have arrived to this country less than one year how to read and write. I actually love teaching this. I feel like phonics is the basic building block to any good education. You might not remember who taught you how to read, but you better thank your lucky stars someone taught you!

Congratulations to Misun on her new baby girl, Kayla Jang! I can't wait to see her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home