Spaz Attack

Thoughts from a big spaz who has lots to spaz about.

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Yesterday, Jason, Thumper, and I drove to the coast of Oregon and took in some sun at Canon Beach. Surprisingly, it was stunning- better than the beaches of Hawaii, in my opinion. It wasn't too hot, it wasn't crowded, there was a light breeze. And, to the utter excitement of Jason, there was Some Cliff from Gooneys. Some sort of cliff that the pirates pass towards the end of the movie. I have no idea; I think Gooneys was before my time.

Afterwards, we went to one of the strangest restaurants I've ever been to. Jason and I have been craving Korean food and we thought we saw a Korean restaurant near our house. It's called Be Won. Anyways, we decided to check it out. When we walked in, my first impression was that it was too nice to be a Korean restaurant! You know, I'm used to the hole in the wall places in K-town. The decor was like a four star restaurant and I saw more Americans than Koreans. Well, we thought, how good can this be- Americanized Korean food, but we were starving so we found a seat. The water was brought to us in wine glasses in silver pitchers. Huh! We looked at the menu and the main courses had wine pairings listed next to it, like jap chae with 2001 Robert Mondavi chardonnay. Odd. We ordered kalbi and kim chee ji kae and hoped for the best while expecting the worst. We were impressed with the kim chee ji kae but thought the kalbi was mediocre. The ban chan was ok too. All in all, it was alright. But I can't get over the whole atmosphere. You have to come and check it out for yourself.

While I was having dinner last night, I was reminded of something that happened about a little over a month ago. I decided to provide lunch for my colleagues at school, as a good-bye, thank you, will-miss-you sort of party. I got it catered from Nak Won Catering (one of the best in LA I think). Anways, so it was lunch time and I was all set for my friends to come into the cafetorium. I had placed fliars in their mailboxes so they would know what was going on. Anyways, so there is a line forming as my friends piled food on their plates, and then I notice all these people getting in line who had not been invited! Like parents (parents!!), staff, some so called psychologist who I don't like, etc... It was so annoying. Why the hell would these people think that it is alright for them to get some if they did not even hear anything from me, who was obviously hosting the party? They are so so dense. I mean, and the food wasn't even cheap, like $20 a head, and I had invited 40 people only (all elementary teachers, since my school is K-12, and other school staff). I was worried that I wouldn't have enough food for everyone I had invited. Dude, I would NEVER take anything unless I knew for sure it was for my taking, I would NEVER go to a party if I was not invited. Is it just me? Well, I was a little annoyed but I got over it. There seemed to be enough food and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. At least I knew these people and had worked with them on some level during my three years at 32nd. THEN, this complete STRANGER walks in and gets in line for food. I had NEVER seen her before. She walked in behind a friend of mine so I thought maybe she was a guest. But I soon realized that she wasn't. Anyways, I didn't say anything and she sat there and gobbled up my galbi, jap chae, fried shrimp, etc. and afterwards as she walked out, she told me that "it was the best Chinese food" she had ever tasted. Urg... Now, the reason I bring this up is that I wish I had said something to her. I don't like conlicts and, usually, don't like to confront things, but in this case, I wish I had told her that this was a school function. I mean, this was like a lady off the streets for all I know. Anways, this is a long entry for nothing, I know. I guess this in my way of telling myself to be more assertive (or more of a b) when I need to be.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home